I’m sure you’ve heard of ChatGPT, the AI tool developed by OpenAI specialized in dialogue that marketing teams are starting to use for their content writing and digital marketing strategy. But if I tell you about the AI-powered image generation tool called DALL-E it might not sound so familiar. Although both have been developed by the same company, DALL-E is not as well known, but its capabilities (although in another field) are just as impressive. In this article we want to tell you all about this platform so that you can also introduce it into your work dynamics and benefit from everything it has to offer.
What is DALL-E?
DALL-E is an online Artificial Intelligence platform created by OpenAI that, through machine learning, is able to create images of very different styles from the descriptions offered by users. The latest version is DALL-E 2, which, compared to its predecessor, creates images with higher resolution and that more closely match the initial description.
On the economic side, as of today, the platform works with a system of credits, which can be purchased to generate images. Free credits exist, but are only available to users who registered before April 6, 2023.
DALL-E and copyright
As you may already know, technology is moving much faster than legislation, so talking about copyright in this area can be a complex issue and there is no clear and conclusive answer on the matter.
According to Spanish law, only human beings can be copyright holders and according to some experts images created by machines, therefore, cannot be under the protection of intellectual property laws. However, other experts defend the idea that it is the creator of these AIs who owns the copyright. According to the latter theory, you would have to look at the terms and conditions of the platform, in this case OpenAi, which states that the content can be used for any purpose, including commercial. This means that you can both use and sell the works you create with the platform.
However, keep in mind that this information may change, as many platforms of this type are rethinking their regulations. Therefore, we recommend that you take a look at their policies before using them.
How to use DALL-E, first steps
If you decide to use DALL-E, here are the simple steps to follow to benefit from its full potential:
- You must first register and create an account, which is completely free. If you are already registered with OpenAI, you can log in using your credentials.
- After gaining access, the platform will take you to its homepage.
- Here you will see that you don’t have enough credits… To get them, click on the “buy credits” button.
- Once you have credits, you can enter your instruction in the line located in the center of the screen, or click the “Surprise” button to have the platform generate an instruction randomly.
- Keep tapping the “Generate” button to see the different images generated by the artificial intelligence.
- If you really like one of the suggested images, you can create a variation of it by hovering over it, clicking on the three dots that appear, and clicking on the “Generate Variation” button.
- Once you have the image you want, you can edit it in the platform to put the finishing touches on it.
- Finally, upload the image and use it anywhere you want.
Why use DALL-E? Much more than just image generation
One of the most interesting values of the platform is that you can generate unique content. Unlike stock photos, which more people can buy, with this type of AI tool no one is going to get the same image as you. But with DALL-E you can not only generate images from scratch, you can do much more. Thanks to the feature that allows you to upload images from any device, these are some actions you can also do.
Imagine that there is an image you love, but it has a detail that prevents it from being perfect, such as a reflection, people in the middle or objects in places they shouldn’t be. DALL-E can remove them using its eraser tool.
Just as you can remove elements, you can also add them to make it look like they were there at the time the photo was taken.
This AI is also capable of enlarging an image and generating a fictitious scenery, but one that fits perfectly with the rest of the image, making it look like it is part of the real landscape.
Obtaining similar images
Using the “Generate Variations” tool you can create images similar to other images.
Tips to make your experience with DALL-E the best it can be
- When entering the prompts from which the image will be created, keep in mind that the more details you give the AI through your prompts, the more the image will resemble what you want to get. Something that cannot be missing in the description is how you want the background to be, the number of people, objects or animals you want to appear, what style you want the images to have and the colors you want to appear.
- When you are going to use images on your website as part of your digital marketing strategy, do not forget to compress them so that they do not slow down the loading time of the page. This way your website will be more optimized and your positioning will improve.
We hope this article has helped you to understand this tool in more depth and has encouraged you to introduce it into your digital marketing strategy. As with all AI platforms, the use of these does not mean the elimination of jobs within your team, as they are allies and always need the supervision of a human. Therefore, see them as another tool that can help you achieve your goals.